TEACHER of the MONTH: Crowder finds balance between fun, passion in classroom

Social Studies teacher Jason Crowder has been selected the BHS Teacher of the Month for September by the Student Advisory Team.  He is known at BHS for his sense of humor and energetic spirit and was humbled to receive this award.

“I was surprised and honored. Part of me was wondering if I was ever going to win this award,” Crowder said. “I guess this month I bribed the right people.”

Bob Martin, another faculty member of the Social Science department, believes that Crowder deserves this nomination.

“I think he relates to students and is a great classroom teacher,” Martin said.  “He is enthusiastic about almost everything and he doesn’t bug me very often.”

This is Crowder’s first nomination for the Teacher of the Month award since its start a few years ago.  He answered a few questions about his nomination and his passion for teaching.

Why did you pursue the teaching profession?

“I would love to tell you that I knew I was going to be a teacher from the time I was like 5, but that is not the truth. I always enjoyed helping other and interacting with people and that is what teaching is. I did not decide to enter teaching until the age of 20. Even though this was not my calling from the time I was young, I love my job and the challenges it presents every day.”

What made you choose Social Science over other subjects?

“Because Social Science makes the world go round, of course! History is the study of people and cultures and let’s be honest, people have always been crazy. Plus, it meant I only had to take a few math classes.”

How Long have you been teaching at BHS?

“10 years.”

What is your favorite part about teaching?

“I guess I shouldn’t say summer, huh? Is lunch a good answer? Seriously, I love interacting with kids and the other amazing staff here at Baldwin.  Every day is a new challenge and adventure. I enjoy the fact that every day is different and I never know what will happen. It keeps us teachers young and on our toes.”

Have you ever had an experience where you knew your teaching was making a difference?

“There have been those ‘special’ moments when I have received letters, thank you’s, etc. But, the most memorable was a few years ago. A former student on leave from the military saw me at a restaurant. He came over and thanked me for teaching him so well and that he was the cream of the crop in his classes in the military. He also told me that I was a big influence on him to finish school and join the military. Those are the moments teachers live for.”

If you could give your students a piece of advice, what would it be?

“I would like kids to know that they are never too young to make a difference in someone’s life…what they need to decide is if it will be a positive or a negative difference.  Give more than you get, don’t take yourself too seriously, enjoy life, and to quote Kid President, ‘Be more awesome!’ And to always, be safe, be smart, and make good choices.”