HS BAND & CHOIR COMPETE AT KSHSSA

HS band and choir getting great rtings at KSHSSA.

KSHSAA  is a music competition, for choir and band, that happens every year. Rachel Naughtin, JH, and HS choir teacher had many auditions this year for KSHSAA. Stuart O’Neil, JH, and HS band teacher,  also did. 

“KSHSAA offers two types of competitive music festivals: 1. solo/small ensemble (trio, quartets, etc…24 or fewer students) 2. large group (any size)” said O’Neil. 

For these students and teachers, KSHSAA is important and takes lots of hard work to get ready for. 

The KSHSAA festivals take place in the spring, the first being the regional-level solo/small ensemble festival. There are 17 regional sites across Kansas; BHS is assigned to attend the DeSoto HS site. The students who choose to participate in this event perform a prepared piece of music for a judge. The judge then rates the performance using a specific rubric, and the performance will earn one of the following ratings: I, II, III, IV, V. (IV and V ratings are VERY rare…the students who might receive this rating typically do not attend the festival at all.) Only students who earn a I rating are eligible to advance to the state-level solo/small ensemble festivals a few weeks later.”

Our HS Band had six Brass ensembles, one Horn Quartet, nine Percussion ensembles, and four solos. 

Tucked in between these two events on the calendar is the KSHSAA State Large Group Music Festival. (KSHSAA used to hold regional-level large group festivals, but they stopped doing this many years ago.) There are 15 state sites across Kansas, and BHS is one of them; we actually host the largest number of visiting schools compared to the other sites. (BHS was asked to be a host site three years ago for several reasons, the most important being that we have such a beautiful PAC – which we use for bands and orchestras – and the fact that we can partner with Baker University and use Rice Auditorium for choirs.)” said O’Neil. 

Our HS band earned a 1 rating. That is the best you can receive in a choir or band performance. 

For the large group festivals, the entire group (band, orchestra, choir) from each participating school performs and is rated by three judges. Each judge rates the performance individually, and then a final score is determined. The BHS Band earned a I rating at this year’s State Large Group event; again, this is a significant accomplishment for high school students and their teachers.” said O’Neil. 

Our BHS Choir also performed at this event as well. 

I cannot reiterate enough how amazing everyone was throughout a jam-packed day, severe weather warnings, students/ensembles performing early, etc. We have the best students and families in USD 348, and I am so proud and grateful to be their teacher,” said Naughtin.

Our choir had so many soloists and groups perform and many of them placed with a 1 rating at the first competition then some even got a 1 rating at the state competition on Saturday, April 27.

Our students were wonderful at the KSHSAA State Solo & Small Ensemble Festival in Andover on Saturday! They were also incredibly supportive of each other— judges throughout the day commented about how they loved the way Baldwin students and families showed up for each other! It was a great day of camaraderie, beautiful music-making, and memorable “last performances” for our stellar senior class,” said Naughtin. 

The schedule was crazy since there were 1000 band/orchestra students and 900 choir ensembles and solos. 

BHS Combined Treble/Purple Choir – 8:22a (Rice/Baker), BHS Combined Tenor/Bass Silver Choir – 8:58a (Rice/Baker), BHS Concert Choir – 9:45a (Rice/Baker), BHS Symphonic Band – 1:00p (PAC). said O’Neil. 

These ensembles/solos earned a 1 rating. 

BHS A Cappella: Lily Brecheisen, Camden Cox, Haley Davis, Elizabeth Goodwin, Lydia Herron, Sophia Johnson,
Lillian Judy, Irelyn Kennedy, Jaeden Landreth, Kade Long, Maddie Maddox, Jillian McLaren, Oliver O’Neill, Annette Perez, Elee Pittman, Emma Searl, Isabelle Searl, Bailey Smith, Nacio Soden, Isaac Taylor, Talan Torrez, Travis Turner, Liz Underwood, Ainsley Weiss

Not only did A Capella earn a 1 rating but our small treble ensemble did too. 

BHS Small Treble Ensemble: Maddisyn Cooper, Haley Davis, Sophia Johnson, Lillian Judy, Jillian McLaren, Petra Morris, Emma Searl, Isabelle Searl, Bailey Smith, Rachel Watkins, Rylee Webb, Layla Whaley,” said Naughtin. 

Our solos did amazing with 5 earning a 1 rating and 5 earning a 2 rating. 

SOLO – Treble Vocal- Lily Brecheisen, Treble Vocal- Jillian McLaren, Tenor/Bass Vocal- Isaac Taylor, Tenor/Bass Vocal- Talan Torrez, Treble Vocal Liz Underwood,” said Naughtin.

Here are our solos that earned a 2 rating. 

“‘SOLO – Treble Vocal- Jay Baker, Treble Vocal- Elee Pittman-Wood, Treble Vocal- Bailey Smith, Tenor/Bass Vocal- Nacio Soden, Treble Vocal- Ainsley Weiss,” said Naughtin.