Humans of BHS: Lizzy Goodwin

“My favorite part of high school has to be the community. At a smaller school like Baldwin I feel like you get the opportunity to have better relationships with your teachers and staff because there are less students. It goes the same way with sports and music. Since I go to a smaller school I have the opportunity to be in multiple choirs including Concert Choir and A Capella this year. With sports, many are able to duel sport and still participate in band and choir which is so amazing! I am so excited to graduate this May! I wouldn’t be able to have done this without my teachers and principals. I have felt so much encouragement and support from the BHS staff while pursing my desire to graduate early. The senior class has also been very welcoming in letting me still participate in all the senior events and activities we do together. Choir is by far my favorite class in high school and I plan to continue doing choir in college. I have so many good memories from over the years! Last year was definitely the most memorable choir year for me because I got to share it with my brother, Zach Goodwin, and best friend, Kate Welch, who both graduated last year (2023). My favorite memory was at the beginning of the 22-23 school year when our choir teacher Ms. Naughtin was out on maternity leave. We had a long term sub-Mr. Rick, who was a very interesting guy who was very involved with music and theater. The music pieces our teacher had planned contrasted so weirdly- they were “Lamentations of Jeremiah” which is a Latin piece that was very intense and serious. The other song was “Jabberwockey” which was a fun, laughable piece that involved funny child instruments and some fun lyrics as well. Learning these pieces while having a long term sub was so difficult and a lot of class time was spent side tracked listening to Mr. Rick’s stories. When Ms. Naughtin came back from her leave, she was a little concerned about the shape the pieces were, and was understandably stressed out since we had an upcoming concert. We ended up straightening out the songs and getting them concert ready. We still joke about singing these pieces and our time with the very unique Mr. Rick today. Performing them had to be my favorite choir memory. After high school I am attending Olivet Nazarene University to major in Physical Science and hopefully attend chiropractic school after that. I attended a conference in the summer of 2023 that resulted in me receiving a very good scholarship to Olivet. At first I was very hesitant because the University is 8 1/2 hours away from my home, family, and friends but after much thought decided to commit to attend in the fall! As I said earlier I also plan to do choir while in college, although not sure what choir yet.  I decided in March of my sophomore year. To graduate early I had to take summer classes in order to be able to take the senior classes I needed the next year.This year (23/24) I am enrolled in 8 classes in order to get enough credits to graduate in May.”