BHS SENIORS SHOWCASING HORSES

Addy Ediger and Avery Bergan showing horses since they were young to lift off a career.
Addy+Ediger+and+Avery+Bergan+with+there+horses.+
Addy Ediger and Avery Bergan with there horses.

Seniors Avery Bergan and Addy Ediger still do what they love; showing horses. 

“My favorite part about showing horses is it is something different that I can do on my own and it’s just me and my horse,” Bergan said. “I do not think most people realize how much a horse can be an emotional animal and for me, my horse Tucker is my best friend,” 

Bergan has been showing horses since she was a baby.

“I have been riding forever, since I was a baby, and could ride on my own,” Bergan said. “I joined 4h at age 8 and showed my miniature ponies. I joined the American Quarter Horse Youth Association at age 11 and am still showing in that association today.” 

Bergan and her horse Tucker have a great bond and that is what helps them. Showing horses is a very competitive sport. Learning how to train and ride a horse is hard and these girls are such positive workers. 

“Showing horses has changed my life because it was provided me with a lot of opportunities I would have never had,” Bergan said. “After I joined the Missouri Quarter Horse Youth Association I connected with so many people and made so many friendships. Along with meeting being I have also had the opportunity to commit to a division one school to ride collegially. I will be attending South Dakota State University in the fall and will be competing on the equestrian team on the horsemanship time.” 

Ediger also shows horses. 

“My favorite part about showing is the competition and being able to get awarded for all of the hard work spent while practicing and training,“ Ediger said. “A horse show normally takes all day and can go for multiple days with different classes and styles of riding each day. For me the hardest part about horse showing is keeping my horse focused and calm while in the arena,” 

She has been showing for 7 years. 

“I got my first horse in 2017 and began showing that same year,” Ediger said.

Ediger and her horse work hard every day to get ready for competitions.

“Depending on how big a horse show is depends on how long it will take,”said Bergan “Some classes take 30 minutes while some classes, like at the World Show take all day. It truly depends on the size of the show. When I show at the World Show in Oklahoma City I am there for a total of 10 days with anywhere from 75-150 people in my class.” 

These girls both believe in being an equestrian. 

“To me an equestrian is someone who truly loved the sport of showing horses,”Bergan said. “It is a very difficult sport that multiple people do not even know about. Loving your horses and being a team with them when competing is what an equestrian is. The funniest part of being an equestrian is that your horse has such a funny personality. My horse Tucker makes me laugh all the time with his funny face movement and especially when he gets the hiccups.” 

“To be an equestrian means someone who is willing to put in work and do chores for horses,”Ediger said. “Showing horses has changed my life in many ways it has given me amazing opportunities to meet so many people in the horse industry and friends.” 

Hard work is a main part of this sport. Bergan and Ediger are both hard workers. Showing horses has changed the lives of these girls. 

“The hardest part about showing is that your horse can be different every day,” Bergan said. “One day your horse could be very great and will be listening and the next it could be hurt or acting bad. Also if you mess up a pattern or do something wrong there is nobody to blame but yourself.”

Showcasing horses is difficult and I could never do it, but these girls are continuing to do what they love and will go far with their hard work. 

“You and your horse are the team and it depends on you to do good,” Bergan said. “Showing horses has changed my life because it was provided me with a lot of opportunities I would have never had. After I joined the Missouri Quarter Horse Youth Association I connected with so many people and made so many friendships. Along with meeting being I have also had the opportunity to commit to a division one school to ride collegially. I will be attending South Dakota State University in the fall and will be competing on the equestrian team on the horsemanship time.”