An unexpected trip

BHS counselor has fond memories from his football career in Poland.

One phone call sent him somewhere unexpected. Reggie Harris, a counselor at Baldwin High School, lived in Poland to further his professional football career as a wide receiver. 

“I was trying to continue to play football after college and I did a whole bunch of tryouts for a whole bunch of teams, traveled all around the U.S. to try to find a team and I ended up getting a call in June of 2014.” Harris said. “The call was from my agent who said Hey, there’s a team in Poland who would love to have you on their team.”

Harris was then in Poland from June of 2014 to July of 2015.

“My favorite thing that I experienced was just the city of Warsaw, the country’s capital, and there were 2 million people there and just experiencing the city and the culture,” Harris said. 

Having the ability to bring his American perspective there and see new things opened up Harris’s eyes for a lot of learning experiences. 

“They have what we call potstickers, but it’s called pierogi and one of the coaches there, his wife, made the best pierogi in the world and I would pretty much go there 2-3 times a week and just spend time there and have some pierogi,” Harris said.

While in Poland, Harris stayed in a small apartment, one that was not much larger than the size of his current office. 

“I recommend traveling as much as you can for as long as you can because you don’t get as many chances when you get older and opportunities to learn a new language, or even just experience a new language is something that doesn’t happen very often here in the United States,” Harris said.