Adjustments to school life

As the end of the first quarter comes to an end most Baldwin High School students including Molly Ogden, have already adjusted to the new school year.

Less than a year ago in November Molly had a stroke that affected the right side of her brain. Molly’s mother, Alison spoke for her during the interview

“She is so glad to be back at school. She was very involved in all sorts of activites before her stroke and really missed being away for the almost 6 months that she missed. It is not exactly like it was before so that has been an adjustment. She has maintained a positive attitude the whole time,” Allison said.

She explains what areas of her brain and body have been affected by the stroke.

“The stoke occurred on the left side of the brain affecting most of the hemisphere. That part of the brain controls the right side of her body including right hand,arm,leg and foot. So she was totally paralyzed on the right side of her body and continues to have lingering affects. It also controls communication and Speech,”Allison said.

She also tells what Molly does during her classes to help with her communication.

“Molly is getting speech therapy an hour a day and also a limited amount of music therapy. That helps with communication since it comes from a different area of the brain,”Allison said.

Staff & students sure are glad to see Molly back witch at school with all smiles.

Autumn Weiss, a paraprofessional who works with Molly is glad to see her back at school.

“I think she’s very happy to be back.” She said.