Maple Leaf Festival continues to be successful Baldwin City event

When the leaves change and the air gets cooler, it can only mean one thing. Maple Leaf Festival is in for another successful year.

For 55 years during the third full weekend in October, the downtown streets of Baldwin City have been filled with activities to bring the community closer together.

There are over 300 events to keep children and adults busy throughout the two day event. Dr.Ivan Boyd a professor at Baker University started the tradition in Baldwin back in 1958. The festivites still flourish today.

The fun starts on Saturday with a parade that travels down sixth street at around 11 am with floats, bands, antique cars and all sorts of eye catching entertainment.

“One of the best parts about it is you get see the faces of the families that came out to see us and the parade. And we are leading it this year,” junior Harrison Feldt said.

After the parade, people roam the streets downtown making there way from booth to booth. And if you or you family decide to catch a bite to eat there are plenty of food stands with a variety of different food options to satisfy your hunger. There are so many events happening at Maple Leaf it will hard to visit every single one in just a day. Sunday wraps up the festivites.

Lots of BHS students and facilty are envoled with events at Maple Leaf. BHS teacher and coach Kit Harris, is an active partipant im events during the festival.

“ It’s a very important part of our community, provides a lot for groups and busniess who greatly benefit from all the work they do on the weekend,” he said.