SENIOR SIGNINGS

Bulldogs take their next step to college
SENIOR+SIGNINGS

There are many seniors in Baldwin High School, but not a lot of them get to sign with a college. Two very skilled seniors, Fisayo Afonja and Jayden Westgate, are those who get to sign with a college.

“I have a couple offers from a couple different colleges around Kansas, like Baker University and Benedictine,” Westgate said.

Going into the 2024 state tournament he won his first match and lost his second. This year he got second at KSHAA 4A Regionals D,He is also a three time state qualifier.

“I definitely have room for improvement, especially if I want to go to college soon,” Westgate said. “I was going to win that but he just caught me, he made me a better wrestler by knowing what i need to improve on,” Westgate said.

Fisayo Afonja another Senior at Baldwin high school is a Volleyball player who recently played in a national volleyball tournament. She has a full ride scholarship to Brown University Located in Providence, Rhode Island. 

“I chose Brown University because it was the best option for me athletically and academically. I loved the coaches and team dynamic,” Afonja said.

To be able to get into Brown University you have to have a 4.1 GPA or higher.

“I decided that volleyball would be my main sport when I was in middle school. From there I knew that I wanted to play at a high level in college and that made me put in the work,” Afonja said.

Brown won 7 NCAA volleyball National Championships tied with Penn State and behind Stanford.