GOALS FOR THE GIRLS

BHS girls soccer team eager to be back on the pitch
The team in a tight huddle discussing their game plan.

Soccer is a team sport, but the BHS girls soccer team is a family more than a team. 

“All of my teammates and coaches inspire me to be and do my best on and off the field,” senior Alex McBride said. “Our team chemistry is so special and it encourages me to want to perform my absolute best not just for myself but for the whole team.” 

The team’s first game is at 4:30 p.m.,Thursday, March 21, at Eudora. They have 7 home games this season not including Regionals or any Sub-State games.

Senior Bailey Smith enjoys the creative aspect of soccer.

“I enjoy the creativity of it, I think creating on the field is the most rewarding aspect of the game,” she said.

Smith will be continuing her soccer career at Black Hills State University in Spearfish, South Dakota.

“My advice for underclassmen is to be fearless on the field and to play with passion,” Smith said.

The first BHS girls soccer team started in 2011 so this program has not been going on as long as our other sports programs. This soccer family supports each other and has had a lot of big accomplishments.

“The biggest accomplishment was making it to state my junior year, hopefully we make it back this year,” McBride said. “Winning regionals was a big accomplishment, but making it to the state tournament made history for us even if we didn’t do as well as we hoped.”

The seniors have lots of wise words for younger girls wanting to play soccer.

“If you work hard and stay humble you will achieve more than you thought you could,” senior Nora Prather said.

Prather has played soccer at BHS all four years and has had a lot of success with the team.