SIDELINE SPORTS: Winston wins BCS national championship, Texas becomes Strong

Redshirt freshmen Jameis Winston of Florida State University finishes the year as champion of the BCS world. The Seminoles won the BCS National Championship in Pasadena, Calif., against Auburn.

Winston the Heisman trophy winner, led the way being down 21-10 at halftime. Winston finished the night with 2 TD and 237 yards and zero interceptions. With the FSU win this stops the SEC streak winning the previous seven championships until now. The final score was Florida State beating Auburn 34-31.

Former Louisville head coach Charlie Strong has been hired as the University of Texas the replacement coach for retiring Mack Brown. Brown worked 16 seasons as the head coach in Texas and that career came to an end with the lose to Oregon in the Alamo Bowl 30-7. Strong has a hard job to fill, though. Brown brought a national championship to Texas and many other bowl wins in his long career. Strong was the head coach at Louisville for four years and worked as a defensive coordinator for Florida. Strong’s resume is qualified, but will he be able to handle the spotlight that the Texas job brings? This is a first for Texas hiring the university’s first African-American head coach.

The BCS is no more, the final BCS bowl season has come to an end. The four team playoff season will be in effect this season. It will take the top four teams at the end of the year and have a playoff. People believe this will solve for the computer errors that have happened in the past years with picking the top two teams. Next year this playoff is looking to bring more drama to post season college football but not get so big like the NCAA basketball tournament. The questions remain if and will this new system work