SIDELINE SPORTS: NCAA basketball is in full force

College Basketball is back in session with games all over the country to kick off the year with one of the strongest freshmen classes incoming. The first week has been strong games all across the country are ending in close fashion. #2 Michigan State defeated #1 Kentucky 78-74 and #5 Kansas defeated #4 Duke 94-83 in the Championship Classic event at the United Center in Chicago.

Freshmen Phenom leads impressive KU Class

Freshmen Andrew Wiggins at the University of Kansas leads an impressive class coming into Lawrence. Wayne Seldon, Conner Frankamp, Joel Embid and Brannen Greene are all a part of this class to help lead the Jayhawks back to the NCAA Tournament. Kansas has no returning starters from last year. Junior Naadir Tharpe and sophomore Perry Ellis are to step into the leadership role. This is a very young team with very big expectations. With the young talent the Jayhawks look to fly high to another championship.

Kansas State looking at a shaky season

Head Coach Bruce Weber and his Wildcats are showing signs of a rough year having their first lost of the season to an unranked opponent in Northern Colorado. The Wildcats’ non-conference schedule will be a nightmare by facing Long Beach State, Gonzaga and the possibility of playing Georgetown in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off can make this year a poor record overall with the tough Big 12 conference schedule.

The Big 12 Conference Loading Up

With two teams in the top ten in #5 Kansas and #8 Oklahoma State and one more in the top 25 in #23 Baylor. The Big 12 is looking at two of the strongest teams throughout the college ranks. With leadership of Sophomore Marcus Smart who was one of the biggest stars in college basketball last season. His breakout moment last year was beating Kansas in Lawrence. Jayhawk fans still have the image of Smart doing a backflip in celebration of their victory. The Big 12 conference should stack up very evenly with the ACC and Big Ten for the best conference in the NCAA.

Preseason Final Four

The predictions need to be made and my final four consists of Kansas, Michigan State, Oregon and VCU. and the Cinderella story of the year will be from the Ivy League and it is Harvard. Harvard received 46 voting points by the AP Poll this year to be in the Top 25. The Ivy League team is easily one of the favorites to get the conference championship but they will still be under the radar coming into the NCAA tournament.