Football, soccer teams experiencing father-son bonds

The father-son bond can be a strong and important relationship. The connection between is essential for both sides of the relationship. Baldwin High School athletics this year is having the unique, but great, occasion of having two sports with this relationship in play.

Soccer has head coach Mark Joslyn and his son senior Nick, football head coach Mike Berg is coaching his son senior Chad.

Both teams are in the middle of outstanding seasons. Football has started off with a 6-0 start this year with an average margin of victory of 35 points through six games. Soccer has finished the year with the best record in program history going 14-1-1 on the season and being fourth ranked in state for 4A-1A.

“I knew we are going to have a really good team, it has been such an amazing and fun season so fun and I don’t want it to end,” Nick Joslyn said.

Nick Joslyn is one of the captains of this year’s team also which is selected by a team vote at the beginning of the year. The Bulldogs have had 63 goals on the season and only conceded ten on the season through 14 games. This year is putting a new standard on Baldwin soccer and future years to come.

“Coaching Nick is like coaching any of the other the 21 guys on the team, though I do admit that I am more critical and demand much more of Nick,” Mark Joslyn said.

The standard for football is just as high this season with the success rate so far. The third ranked Bulldogs are shooting to go all the way at full speed not letting anything getting away from them.

“Our goal this year is to be there in the State championship. Everything is starting to line up in our favor this season,” Chad Berg said.

With a tough Frontier League schedule to play this season along with playing St. James Academy, the Bulldogs have played many tough games this year so far.

“Our overall goal is to win the League, we got to beat Ottawa and Eudora to do that first and then win a state championship. These kids have put their heart and soul into this year by playing football there entire lives from pee wee until now,” Mike Berg said.

Sports become people’s lives when they are into it like these two teams are. Both football and soccer are riding great seasons for the ultimate ride of the high school sports dream. For being a coach it seems like it would be difficult seperating the two out, but both coaches seem to have a firm grip on things.

“Most of the time when we are at home we don’t really talk about the Baldwin Bulldogs, we talk about other teams or watching games on TV but we don’t really talk about the Bulldogs,” Mike Berg said.

Coach Joslyn also has the same view as Coach Berg does during the season, but he does try to make sure they stay separate.

“Nick and I often talk about soccer at home and in the Fall, much of family life is devoted to the sport” Mark Joslyn said. “Nevertheless, we are no different than most families we schedule family trips, go the the movies, and generally enjoy each others’ company.”

Both coaches have had the chance to coach both of their sons. Coach Joslyn has had Alumni Louis Joslyn and now Nick. Louis now is at Simpson College in Iowa playing soccer. Coach Berg has had Alumni Drew Berg and now Chad. Drew is now helping coach the high school team and the Junior High team.

“I have had a very fun time coaching both my son’s,” Coach Berg said, “Drew ended up going 10-3 and playing in the state semi-finals and I am just enjoying the ride with them now.”

With Louis graduating two years ago, Coach Joslyn got to coach both of his sons at the same time unlike Coach Berg but still feels the same about the opportunity to have the privilege of coaching his sons.

“It has been my fortune to coach both my sons,” Coach Joslyn said. “We are able to work effectively together and are able to share a rewarding experience and learn from each other. I have indeed enjoyed the experience and realize it is a rare opportunity and one I appreciate every day.”

Chad Berg and Nick Joslyn both being seniors in the class of 2014 it will always be sad sending love ones to the next level of their lives no matter what they decide to do.

“It is bittersweet. I will miss Nick’s presence at practice, his leadership, his work rate, and his skill. But, like most parents, indeed coaches, you know when it is time: and Nick is eager to take that next step to college,” Coach Joslyn said.

Both coaches have almost the exact same feelings on all things about this rare chance to do this. they both see that when the ride is over then that is the way it goes.

“I have just enjoyed the ride with Drew and Chad alike. Both have had a great core of seniors on their team. I know it has been fun for Chad this year and that is what truly matters to me, to know my son is having fun,” Coach Berg said.

This rare occasion has brought joy and all around fun for both these families. This year both season are coming to a close quickly. Football will play its next game against Eudora on Oct 31 7 p.m. at Liston Stadium. Soccer will play its next game in the regional semi-finals on Oct 29, 430 p.m. at the Baldwin Soccer Complex