SIDELINE SPORTS: Wild Card strikes MLB postseason

The Wild Card has struck down on the Major League Baseball. The Texas Rangers and the Tampa Bay Rays are tied for the second wild card spot. The two teams will need to face off to see who plays the Cleveland Indians in the official wild card game. Tampa Bay will travel to Texas to play one game to see who makes it in the postseason for their shot at a chance to be in the postseason.

Tampa Bay pitcher David Price, who has historically not done well against Texas and in the postseason knew this chance was important. Price capitalized on his opportunity with four strikeouts and a complete game, taking Tampa Bay into the wild card game to play the Cleveland Indians.

Designated Hitter Delmon Young hit his ninth career postseason home run to help give Tampa Bay the win to go place for the ALDS to face the Boston Red Sox in a five game series. The historic match up of Terry Francona playing his old team will not happen as Francona’s Indians fell short. Joe Maddon the manager of Tampa Bay has help lead his team to the playoffs four of the last six years.

The National League has been much less chaotic, as the Pittsburgh Pirates face the Cincinnati Reds in the wild card game. The Pirates have had one of the longest postseason droughts in major league history. Catcher Russell Martin breaks the cycle and helps Pittsburgh into the NLDS with a two home runs.

As the first games of the NLDS begin on Oct 3, Pittsburgh will play NL Central rival St. Louis Cardinals and Yasiel Puig leads the Los Angeles Dodgers into the postseason to play Freddy Freeman and Atlanta Braves. I have picked the Pirates in four games over the Cardinals with the strong showings from Martin and the Pirates bullpen I believe the Pirates could pull off the upset. Puig and the Dodgers will be heading into a tough task against the Braves, but I believe they can pull it off. I have the Dodgers in five games over Atlanta.

The ALDS will take place Oct 4. The Detroit Tigers will play the Oakland Athletics, both teams having strong seasons will make the series exciting. Detroit Infielder Miguel Cabrera will be the main difference in the series with his powerful bat he can turn a game around. I have picked the Tigers in four.

The Rays will travel to Boston to play the Red Sox. The Rays look to continue the winning streak as they make the journey deeper into the postseason, but the Red Sox will be too strong for the Rays to handle this time around. I have the Red Sox winning in four games.