Baldwin runners race towards nationals

It is not often that an athlete gets the opportunity to compete on the national scale. However, this year, four BHS cross country runners get the chance.

Freshmen Dakota Helm and George Letner, sophomore Joe Pierce, and junior Ethan Hartzell are going to compete in the Cross Country Coaches National Youth Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Saturday, Dec. 1.

To qualify, each runner had to record a specific time.  In the age group of 13-14 an 18:45 was necessary; in the 15-16 age group, a 17:15 5K was needed; while in the 17-18 age group, a 16:30 was the cutoff time. The event will be different for the atheletes, for they will be running in age groups, unlike high school.

“It’s a chance for them to go on a trip and run with kids in their age group,” BHS coach Mike Spielman said. “They will run with kids from across the country.”

For Pierce, this will be his second chance at nationals.

“I went last year and it was really fun,” Pierce said. “It was a great experience.”

As for Letner, it will be his first chance at nationals.

“I thought it would be a good chance to see how I compare to other runners on a national scale,” Letner said. “Also, I thought it would be pretty fun to get out there and get a run with everybody.”

To train for this event, Letner and Helm have been working together and Pierce and Hartzell have been working together.

“I have been running with George Letner after school everyday for the past week or two,” Helm said.

Pierce and Hartzell have also been running after school.

“We did 2 weeks of base training, then two weeks of hard workouts, then some tapering this week,” Pierce said.

Hartzell feels confident going into the race.

“I’m really getting fit for the race,” Hartzell said. “We are going to be national champions.”