Kehl to receive state track coaching award

On a sunny spring afternoon one might see the mountain-like figure of Kris Kehl wielding a staff and making his way out to the track. Kehl has coached shot put and discus for the Bulldogs for three years, in his short time coaching at BHS he has turned some heads.

“It’s great to have him, he is very knowledgeable and great at working with the kids,” head boys track and field coach Mike Spielman said.

Kehl’s coaching abilities are now being recognized by the Kansas Cross Country and Track and Field Association (KCCTFCA). He will be honored as the the 2012 assistant coach of the year January 5th at the KCCTFCA Coaches Clinic.

I’m really proud of my dad,” Katie Kehl said.

Kehl coached at Louisburg, Mound City and Belton (Mo.) before he came to Baldwin in 2010. In Kehl’s first year at Baldwin, he sent four throwers to state including his daughter Katie Kehl who took home silver in discus and bronze in shot-put and Allison Howard who placed fourth in the discus. His next year he sent four throwers to state where Jessie Austin placed third in the shot put and Allison Howard placed fifth in discus. Last year, Kehl sent four again this time including Dayton Valentine who won both the shot put and the discus and Katie Kehl who won the discus and placed second in the shot, also medaling was Jake Mindez who placed fourth in the shot put.

“At times it really sucks to have my dad as a coach,” said Katie Kehl, “sometimes just want to strangle him but we always have a good time and I really love him.”