Football team still 6-2 despite various injuries players have had to overcome

The BHS football team has had many injuries this year. Some of the injuries include seniors Tyler Cawley, Nick Gardner, Dayton Valentine, juniors Chad Berg, Michael Burton and sophomore Tyler Davidson.

“I feel bad for the players with injuries because they worked so hard to get ready for the season,” head coach Mike Berg said.

Cawley had Compartment Syndrome that resulted in emergency surgery and is now back after being out for about a month, Valentine had a sprained MCL and only missed 3-4 practices, and Davidson had a partially torn MCL and missed 2 ½ weeks.

Gardner broke his collarbone at the beginning of the first quarter in the game against Spring Hill and is out for the season.

“I was chasing a player on the other team, made a tackle, and then landed on my shoulder,” Gardner said. “I got up and then grabbed my shoulder. I didn’t feel any pain, but I knew something was wrong because I could feel that my bone was popping up when it shouldn’t have been.”

Chad Berg broke his jaw during the fourth play of the game against Wellsville (Da Bash) and is out for 6-8 weeks.

“We were on punt return and Cornell Brown and I were deep,” Chad Berg said. “The ball went to Cornell and I went to block for him when a guy on Wellsville hit under my helmet. I started bleeding pretty bad in my mouth, but didn’t know where it was coming from. But, I knew my bite was off.”

Burton got a high ankle sprain the weekend before school started playing in a basketball tournament and was out for six weeks.

“I was playing in our last tournament of the summer and I was dribbling down the court on a fast break and when I made the pass, my ankle turned over,” Burton said. “I heard it pop and then I couldn’t walk and had to be helped off the court.

The injured players were not only in physical pain when they got their injuries, but were also emotionally upset.

“I was really upset because I knew I would be out for a while and I knew that our team could be really good thisyear and I wanted to be a part of it,” Chad Berg said.

Chad Berg wasn’t the only player who felt this way. Burton was upset as well.

“I was angry because I knew I would miss a lot of football and I was excited because of football this year,” said Burton.

Even though the football was missing a few of their key players, the team has still held its own against other teams.

“I’m very impressed with our younger guys on how they’ve stepped up and played their roles,” coach Berg said. “We have guys who have less experience, but they aren’t playing like that. They’re playing like they’ve been there for a year, like an experienced player.”