FALL SPORTS PREVIEW: Bulldogs back after 2011 success

After three teams won Regionals and two teams placed at states in 2011 the fall sports teams are starting their mission to repeat this success.

Girls cross country won another state championship and now are going for six in a row.

“We’re motivated and have been working really hard and I think our chances are high,” junior Hannah Hutton said.

The boys cross country team lost three state runners from last season. The boys cross country team finished fifth last year at state and are looking to build on that.

“It’s weird not having last year’s seniors not around anymore it’s not the same training without them,” junior Ethan Hartzell said.

Hartzell is one of the main leaders of this team. Hartzell finished second at state in 2011. He is the only runner who has been running varsity all three years.

“Our main mission this year is, as a team, to win state,” Hartzell said. “That fifth place finish was not good.”

The boys soccer team is now building off a fantastic season last year when they won the first regional soccer title in BHS history. The Bulldogs set records for most wins in a season and most shutouts.

“I want to go back to state quarterfinals and finally win that trip to state” junior Russell Cloon said.

Cloon is one of the starters on this high powered young team. The Bulldogs first game will be against Tonganoxie at 4 p.m. on August 24 at the Baldwin Soccer Complex.

Looking to get back to winning regionals is the Bulldog football team. It was a rough road last year being a very young team, now finally everyone has grown up matured and is looking to get back to their winning ways.

“I really want to go out on top senior Tyler Cawley said, this season is going to mean so much to me and the seniors.”

The bulldogs are going to have some tough competition this year with state runnerup Eudora. The Bulldogs kick off the season with the Purple and White Scrimmage at 7 p.m. Aug. 24 at Liston Stadium.

Volleyball and girls tennis both have a new coaches this season and are really trying to get back to winning ways.

Volleyball coach Jill Brown returns as the head coach for the volleyball team. Last year’s team did not do as well as they thought they would

“I am really excited for the season to get started said sophomore Jordan Hoffman I really want to have a better season than we did last year.”

The Bulldogs record last year was 11-38. The Bulldogs will play Aug. 25 at the Eudora Tournament. The Bulldogs want to get off to an amazing start with winning the whole tournament.

Tennis looks to start off with an amazing season on August 23 at Topeka-Hayden in the annual tournament. The team looks to replace two state players which is going to be extremely hard for this year, plus adjusting to the new coach Jamie Inzer.