Humans of BHS: Abigail Webb

Abigail Webb first got into crocheting around six to seven years ago. She was taught by her late grandmother, who taught her how to do basic granny squares. It caught her interest, so she started reading books about it. Later, she started experimenting and became more adventurous with her projects.

“Watching it come together and seeing the final product is extremely gratifying,” Webb said.

“My favorite thing is definitely the complexity,” she said. “I love learning different and new stitches, and the more difficult the pattern, the more enjoyable it is.”

Webb has tried selling her creations before, but she said it wasn’t in her interest. 

“I ended up getting half way through the process, and then I lost motivation and simply couldn’t force myself to do it anymore.”

Just like all things, motivation comes and goes. “In all honesty, I take breaks until motivation and creativity somehow tickle my brain enough to get me to do something about it.” Webb said. “I scroll Pinterest till I find something extremely cute that I really want in my life.”

Webb’s current project is a pixel art tapestry. “I crochet multiple pixels at a time, so I’m constantly crocheting different shapes and putting my knowledge to the test,” she said. “After crocheting all the puzzle pieces, it is like sewing a puzzle together.”

Since Webb’s grandmother taught her to crochet, she feels like whenever she does, she pays homage to her grandmother. 

“I feel like it’s a way of never forgetting her and her impact on myself.”