Q/A with Coach Austin

Question: What were your experiences with playing sports before you started coaching and teaching?

Answer: I am a former student of BJHS and BHS.  During my time at BJHS I played every boys school sport that I could; football, basketball, wrestling, and Track & Field.  While at BHS I did football, wrestling, baseball, and Track & Field.  I was an all-state athlete in three of the four sports which provide opportunities for me to play sports collegiately.  Following my graduation from BHS I was selected for the Kansas Shrine Bowl and the Missouri vs Kansas All-Star game.  I next went to Baker University where I played football and competed on the track & field team. 

Question: How long have you been coaching?

Answer: I have been coaching for 8 or 9 years in Baldwin. 

Question: What is your favorite part of coaching?

Answer: I love seeing the process of their development over time and seeing everything they achieve when it’s all said and done.  I also really enjoy the relationships that I have developed with my athletes.  It makes it enjoyable when I catch up with them in the adult world. 

Question: What is a great experience that you have had coaching?

Answer: Gosh!  It’s hard to pinpoint one because there have been so many!

Question: What got you interested in teaching strength and conditioning?

Answer: My personal experience at BHS is a big part of my motivation and passion for Strength & Conditioning.  I have personally experienced the positive difference a strength & conditioning program can make for an athlete so I wanted to be a part of something similar for my career. 

Question: What motivates you to keep teaching and coaching?

Answer: It’s pretty simple, Baldwin students are my motivation.  I am where I am in life because of my teachers and coaches at BHS/BJHS, so I want to give back to all of the future students of Baldwin much like my coaches and teachers did for me.