OPINION: Really Oxford? ‘Twerk’ and ‘Selfie’ now official words?

Oxford dictionary has been adding some new controversial words to their new dictionaries. Words such as “twerk” and “selfie” are just a few of the words that are being added to our english language.

The definition for “twerk” is now a “dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance.” For something like this to be added to our English is funny to some but others find it a disgrace to the English language.

People in BHS have their own opinions on the topic ranging from good to bad and some do not even care about the matter at all.

“It doesn’t really matter what words they add to the dictionary,” junior Ben Brungardt said.

Most find it funny that they are adding words like this to the dictionary and realize that it probably will not affect their everyday lives.

“It’s funny that they added twerk to the dictionary,” junior Eli Berndt said.

Other find it just wrong that these kinds of words would become official words in the English language.

“It’s stupid, it’s an embarrassment to the English language that they would add something like that,” junior Emmett Martin said.

Everyone has an opinion on the matter but the fact is that the Oxford dictionary is adding these words and will probably add words similar to them in the future.