A shift in the eyes of a minimum wage worker

As a high school student, about the only job you can find pays minimum wage. I have held two jobs so far and while working I have been astounded by the way some people treat the employees.

I currently work in a restaurant and some people are flat out rude and disrespectful. First of all, I would like to point out that 99.9% of the time there is no need to be rude to the people serving you, they are trying their best. It’s not their fault you are picky and demanding.

Secondly, people need to keep in mind that these workers are handling your food. You always hear stories about workers spitting in food, one thing I have learned while working in food service is that if someone spits in your food you more than likely deserve it.

Another annoying habit of customers is not reading the signs right in front of them. In any restaurant you go to the prices are on the menu, do not ask the worker how much something costs when it is on the giant sign right in front of you.

Minimum wage jobs are no walk in the park, for many of the employees like myself it is a way to earn some extra cash before they go off to college. Serving up fast food to rude, demanding customers is not what we dream of doing. Before you decide to be rude to someone serving you should probably keep in mind that they are not having the time of their life either, and maybe they had a bad day but they have to be nice and cheery because their job requires it.

There are ways to improve the employee’s time serving you and they are very simple.

Perhaps the most simple way to improve an employee’s time serving you is to say please and thank you while ordering. Everyone learns this lesson at the age of two, and it is not that difficult to apply to the appropriate situations.

Do not ridicule or talk down to the person serving you. If you want extra of something or you do not want something that comes with the meal simply say “May I please have extra of (insert food item here)” or “Can you please remove the (insert food item here).” This is more preferable than “Take off (insert food item here).”

Also, if there is something you do not want on your entree tell the person making it beforehand instead of waiting until the have made it then making them start completely over.

The best way to improve an employee’s shift is to be aware of the time their business closes. If they are within 5 minutes of closing do not go in. They have probably already begun cleaning their equipment and preparing to close and you going in will ruin all of that and they will end up staying later than they are supposed re-cleaning everything.

Next time you go into a business keep these tips in mind to prevent being the person that ruins the employee’s night.