To post or not to post: Facebook and Twitter do’s and don’ts

The sound of clicking and tapping fills the school hallways between class periods as students despertatly checking their phones for the newest status updates and newest tweets their friends have posted.

Girls post what color pen they used on their math test as guys like these statuses as a weak attempt at flirting. But besides the bff’s liking every status their friend puts up religiously, most of the time people do not care what some people have to say about on these social networking sites.

There is a fine line of what people should post and what they should keep to themselves in the unwritten book of Facebook and Twitter’s book of do’s and don’ts.

The “Let me post everything I do”: do not post more than three or twenty status within three minutes of each other, there is no point in posting three or twenty different status or tweets in a short amount of time. Anything you have to say can be summed up in one well thought out status for people to read easily and move on to reading someone else’s instead of scrolling at an extremely dangerous rate down the page to escape your onslaught of pointless status updates or tweets that just annoy people to the extreme.

A picture is worth a thousand tweets : Post a picture of what you are doing if it’s exciting or if it’s relevant. What puts other status and especially tweets above others is when it has a picture attached to it. Pictures can say more than anything you could possibly cram into the twitter 140 character limit. People would much rather see what you are doing instead just saying you are at the beach or what your silly cat is doing in the sink

The “Negative Nancy”: This is one of my personal bugaboos that people do all the time on Facebook and Twitter. Do not post repeated status about how sad you feel because your boyfriend broke up with you, that is the last thing people want to read on their Newsfeed over and over again. No one cares about how sad you feel when you copy and paste those mushy depressing quotes you found when you googled “sad quotes” or “men are jerks quotes” or even worst, retweeting The Notebook. One status update about it is plenty and if people want to know more about how much of a jerk your boyfriend was, they will ask.

The “Michelangelo of Facebook”: Be original. People don’t want to read quotes you copy and paste on your status from a song or forward you just had to post because your crush would never speak to you again if you didn’t. Original thoughts or just a basic what you are doing currently trumps anything you would copy and paste because it’s the reason people follow or friend you in the first place.

If you follow theses guidelines of do’s and don’ts you might just make your social networking experience much more enjoyable for you and your friends.