Think before you tweet @emmakate988

Let’s get some facts right about the Kansas teen who recently became “Twitter famous.” First off, according to Lawrence Journal World, Emma Sullivan never actually spoke any negative words to Governor Brownback, she simply tweeted that she had. Brownback’s staff then contacted Sullivan’s school about her behavior after discovering it on the internet. Finally, at the time of the tweet Sullivan was participating in a Youth in Government program which claims that it is preparing students for leadership positions in democracy.

Hmmm. Alright emmakate988, if you are participating in a YIG program that is supposed to be preparing you for leadership I’m sure the first thing you should do is tweet offensive remarks about leaders in our government. I’m glad you’re using your First Amendment rights but could you, for the sake of everyone else, attain a broader vocabulary? Using words other than “sucks” would probably get your point across just as well without making you sound uneducated and coarse.

I mean, yes, you have the right to tell the Governor what you think of him but is it really necessary to hash tag “heblowsalot”? Also, if you didn’t actually have the guts to tell the Governor what you thought about him in person, why in the world would you take the cowardly route and write on a social media site claiming that you “told him he sucked, in person.” You certainly look like a future leader to me, taking control of the situation and addressing your opposition in a mature and responsible way.

Also, claiming to “open the door for average citizens to voice their opinion & be heard!” is a great way to sound conceited. You’re not Martin Luther King Jr. or Patrick Henry, maybe some day. However, I’m questioning your elocution and I’d prefer if you’d stick to tweeting about the Twilight saga, it’s a much safer playing field than politics and you seem to be a little more saavy with it.

You say you “knew this day would come… #makingheadlines.” Honestly, that isn’t a great way to express the fact that you’re making headlines for claiming the Governor “#blowsalot.” I’m disappointed you chose to spend your fifteen minutes of fame this way, but you don’t seem to mind the attention.

Frankly, I don’t think that Sullivan deserves the support of anyone in this country. According LJWorld she lied to roughly 65 people in her original tweet when she claimed to have spoken to the Governor’s face when she merely vented behind the mask of the internet. Now, she is making headlines looking like a martyr for Free Speech when in reality her words were only comparable to the worst of the tabloid magazines. Does this situation remind you of a certain Rebecca Black, who also embarrassed herself on a social media site but rocketed to comical fame as the butt of countless high school jokes?

So, please, for the sake of all the young adults in Kansas who are politically opposed to Governor Brownback but refrain from posting derisory, laughable, and foolish comments on media sites, could you sink back to anonymity, finish your senior year of high school, go to college and form an actual opinion?