MOVING ON UP

8th-graders prepare for transition to freshman year

With the school year coming to an end, 8th grade graduation is coming near. So what is to expect for the new freshman year and how do these 8th graders feel about High School?

Transitioning to a new school can be hard. When you go to a new school there are new classrooms you have to learn how to find and adapt to the school itself, but 8th graders Macie Gilges and Emberlyn Neil are both excited about the 8th grade promotion.

Gilges says she is excited about the 8th-grade promotion.

“Yes, I’m excited for 8th grade promotion because I get to dress up and hang out with friends that might not be here next year so it’s nice to have this moment with them.”

Gilges on the other hand is slightly worried about high school.

“I’m a little scared about being run over in the halls, “Gilges said, “I’m also scared I won’t be able to find my classes in the high school.”

Neil on the other hand is very excited to be attending the high school next year.

“I’m excited to go to high school,“ Neil said.” I’m ready to get away from my sister who is now in middle school.”

It’s not just students who are excited about this big change it’s also teachers. Coach and gym teacher Crystal Engemann is very proud of her graduating students.

“Watching the students get older and graduate makes me proud,” Engemamn said.“ But it also makes me feel so old. It’s a great feeling to see your past students succeeding in whatever path they choose and going on to do whatever makes them happy; whether that be joining the workforce, tech school, military, or a junior college/university.  They are our future! I’ve helped make a positive impact on their life in some way like they have mine.

Katy Wegener the 8th grade ELA teacher says it’s exciting to see the student grow up. 

“Seeing students mature, grow, and graduate high school is exciting.” Wegener said,“ It’s special to see them achieve their dreams and go off to start their lives, whether that’s at college or trade school or into the workforce.”