CELEBRATION TURNS TO TRAGEDY

Shooting at Chiefs parade affects local families
Marca.com
Chiefs Parade disperses while animist the cross the injured are being treated for possible injuries.

When you go to a parade for your favorite sports team you expect to be safe and just to enjoy your day. On Feb. 14, the day of love and kindness quickly turned to panic and terror when shots were fired into the crowd.

The Chiefs Parade started at 11 a.m. and was meant to last until 1:30 p.m. The players finished their speeches once the Chiefs General manager showed off the trophy to the crowd. They exited the stage and were alerted that there was a disturbance on the Western Side of the Union Station. That day 22 children under the age of 16 were injured and brought to the hospital and 1 person was killed. Trisha Rood a para at Baldwin City Middle School is the mother of Jett Rood who attended the parade.

When Rood heard about what was happening at the parade she was overcome with anxiety for her son.

“The overwhelming feeling of not knowing Jett’s whereabouts during the parade hits you with a wave of anxiety,” Rood said. “As a mother, the uncertainty and inability to locate him in the midst of the event made your heart sink to your feet. Luckily Jett’s friends were running late and they missed part of the parade and I truly think that was a blessing in disguise.”

Her son Jett Rood found himself at the parade concerned for not only himself but for others around him.

“In the midst of the parade, Jett experienced a mix of fear and concern for the well-being of everyone around,” Rood said. “The unexpected turn of events heightened his awareness of the potential risks in the crowded setting. His worry extended beyond his own safety, reflecting a compassionate concern for the people gathered.”

Rood believes this event will forever impact her family and their safety for the foreseeable future.

“The events surrounding the parade had a profound impact on our family, creating a shared sense of concern and unease,” Rood said. “The uncertainty and worry about Jett’s safety became a collective experience, bringing the family together in support and shared emotions. Such incidents can strengthen familial bonds as everyone rallies to ensure the well-being of their loved ones.”