Good grades: differences around the world

Carlo+Alberto+Dalla+Chiesa+High+School+In+Sesto+Calende%2C+Italy.+
Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa High School In Sesto Calende, Italy.

What is the first thing you think about when talking about school? Most of the answers will be: grades. It has always been a big deal in students and parents’ lives. Is it because of the pressure of getting good grades or is it because they are necessary? 

The truth is that it just depends on what you want your future to be and even where you’re attending school. For example, American schools are differently structured than European ones. More specifically, Italian schools are more settled on academic goals and sometimes this causes serious problems in students’ lives. 

The European school system is projected to fill brains with information and often consider a student just as a number. This causes health problems that lead teens to take tranquilizers because of the pressure they feel for an oral test or for all the hours they spend every day studying for the day after, without being recognized. 

This often leads to abandoning a sport they have always dedicated themselves to, not having time to socialize with other kids, a reduction in the hours of sleep used to study, leaving school and launching into the world of work.

In fact, the underlying problem is that the school does not encourage students to take an interest in the work done at school and this is why it is not seen as an opportunity for growth and self-knowledge. They are too focused on meeting the needs of a professor.

Although, some of you will see the positive side of it: excellent preparation for college. In fact, according to “La Stampa” 67% of the students decide to attend university and successfully graduate. 

At this point some of you may ask: how is it on the other side of the world?American schools are thought to help students find their interests, making them choose some classes they want to take during the year. In this way they focus on what they want their future to be, either college or work. 

So what is the point of it? Students should worry about grades but not stress about it, they’re not just a number. Parents and teachers should encourage them to do the best they can and help them decide what they want for their future. It is a kid’s responsibility to be satisfied with their grades.