Costa Rica Bound

Spanish class students raising funds for spring break trip
Costa+Rica
Getty Images/iStockphoto
Costa Rica

“Traveling teaches people things that a classroom or a book never could,” Spanish teacher Katie Marten said. 

“You get to learn about the culture, the people, and the language with first-hand experience. We are going to Costa Rica because I let the students vote, and that is the place that they chose. This will be our third Spanish trip to Costa Rica,” Marten said.

The 2023 Spanish 3 through 5 get to go to Costa Rica this spring break. Marten has been setting up the trip and senior Maris Flory has been helping with the trip and has been giving all of the students the information they need so they can go.

“We’ve had the trip planned for over a year now but last May was when everyone was able to register and 14 registered and two more registered in the last week,” Flory said. 

They have been trying to get more people to register for this trip so that they are alagable so they can learn more Spanish and experience Costa Rica.

“We had many options on where to go but I showed all of the students what we could do at the different places and Costa Rica was the one the most people wanted to go to. It is going to cost $4,034 for each person,” Flory said.

The students got to choose where to go instead of the teachers choosing which gets the students more involved.This trip is going to be expensive but worth it because of how much they will learn.

“We will be in Costa Rica for 14 days,” Flory said. “Will be touring Monteverde for 7 days then have our family stay for the next seven.”

They will be gone for two weeks but only miss one week of school because they will leave on spring break.