Vasquez new at BJHS

Social Studies teacher joins staff

With the new school year comes new teachers. A new Baldwin Junior High teacher is 8th grade Social Studies teacher Samuel Vasquez. 

“I came to Baldwin because my daughter and family moved here, so I wanted to be close to my family,” Vasqeuz said. “My wife’s sister lives in Wichita, so we both moved here for family reasons.” 

Vasquez has a very interesting background. 

“I have Taught for 5 years,” Vasquez said. “This is the start of my 5th year here in Kansas. I have taught 7th and 8th grade history, Texas history and U.S. History.”

Vasquez is trying to bring a lot of new activities to the Baldwin School District. 

“I think It would be cool to have more student organizations and extracurricular activities would be great, having maybe speech and debate would be a good opportunity maybe having a History Club like a History Bowl we would do that in Texas and it would be cool to have something like that here in Kansas,” Vasquez said.

Vasquez has many favorite things about our district.

“I would say that my favorite thing about the district is that a lot of the teachers and staff are very supportive of Baldwin extracurricular activities, volleyball and football, so they are really invested in the students in their extracurricular activities,” Vasquez said.

Vasquez has many favorite things about teaching.

“If I had to pick my favorite thing about teaching I think it would be the relationship with students, and overtime you get to see student growth, and those are probably my 2 favorite things about being a teacher,” Vasquez said. 

Vasquez has a  favorite thing about junior high Social Studies. 

“My favorite time period is definitely the American Revolution,” Vasquez said. “I think history is really fun because we can learn from the mistakes that were made in the past and learn from them, but we often see that we don’t learn from them. My favorite time period is also WW2.