Smith happy to be in Baldwin

New math teacher excited to be part of BC schools & community
Alison Smith teaching her sixth hour Algebra II class.

When starting in a new school you may be excited. This is no different for Alison Smith. After 19 years of being mainly a high school math teacher the excitement is still apparent. Smith began working at Baldwin High School this year as the Algebra II, and the Concepts of Algebra I and II teacher. She also was a coach for cross country and track and is certified to teach physical education. 

So far, Smith has enjoyed being a part of the Baldwin community.

“Baldwin is a great community and I am glad that my kiddos and I are a part of it! All of our family is here or in Lawrence, so it’s nice to be close to everyone,” she said.

Smith explained the reason behind why she wanted to become a teacher by saying, 

“I originally became a teacher because I loved coaching… I worked at a basketball camp in the summer for many years as a teenager and young adult and really liked it, so I got certified to teach PE and math – PE because of coaching and math, because I thought it would be fun to help kids with something they have trouble with.”

One of Smith’s favorite things about being a teacher is helping students improve their skills and achieve success.

“It’s pretty great when I start the year with a kid who has struggled with math for a long time and I am able to get them to stop hating it and realize that they CAN be successful and that we can even have a little fun in math class!” 

Teaching is difficult and it has good and bad things.

“A con for me is that sometimes I can get stressed if I have like 100 people needing and/or wanting things from me,” she said. 

“Pros are definitely the people – so many of the kids that I get to hang out with every day are hilarious and sweet and make my day.” Smith explained. “I also get to work with lots of pretty awesome adults that have become my closest friends,”