From Rivals to Allies

Leslie Jessip starts a new teaching job at BHS

This year, BHS was new teaching staff starting. From anyone to new biology teachers to a new english teacher. Leslie Jessip has been teaching for over eight years. She started in a small school in Ness, Kansas. She graduated from MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe. She is working on her EdD in Instructional Design and Performance Technology at Baker.   

“I first started teaching over eight years ago in a small 1A school district located in Ness City, Kansas. This town is located an hour and fifteen from the closest Walmart in Hays, Kansas,” Jessip said.

She first got introduced to BHS when she was in her school’s forensic club around 15 years ago. When she was attending De soto High School. She also went up against BHS in sporting activities such as soccer and band.

“I have wanted to teach at Baldwin High School since I had the opportunity of working with the Forensics Club 15 years ago,” she said. “I was introduced to the culture and atmosphere of the school district; I also frequently visited Baldwin city, Kansas, during my middle school and high school years for sports and extracurricular activities.”

She has wanted to be a teacher for close to all her life. When she was little she played school and house with her friends at school on the playground. 

“I have wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl playing house and school with my friends,” she said.

She wants to stay at BHS for a few years and enjoys the atmosphere. But she wants to move on from teaching in the near future.

“I do not have a time frame planned for how long I will remain in the classroom teaching,” Jessip said. “I plan on staying at Baldwin High School to continue teaching after this school year,” Jessip said.