Food and Fun

New teacher takes over Culinary program
Tannahill+helping+out+Culinary+Essentials+students+
Anna Cole
Tannahill helping out Culinary Essentials students

A new school year means new teachers.

This year Baldwin High School has a new Family and Consumer Science teacher, Caylee Tannahill. Tannahill was originally pursuing a food and science major at Kansas State University but then worked at a summer camp and changed her major. 

“I worked at a summer camp and realized I like working with teenagers, and so I changed my major,” Tannahill said. 

Before coming to teach in Baldwin, Tannahill taught at West Franklin for two years and when the opportunity opened for a new culinary and human growth and development teacher Tannahill took it.

“It seemed like a really good program and a really good community that I wanted to be a part of,” Tannahill said. 

So far Tannahill has really liked being a teacher here. 

“Everyone is really friendly, I really like the facility, and the students are really great here,” Tannahill said. 

Tannahill loves teaching kids how to cook and then seeing how happy they are when they try their own food. 

“My future goals for teaching are to keep teaching, keep learning more about how to better how I teach and how to encourage students,” Tannahill said. 

The students also really enjoy Tannahill’s class.

“Her activities make you work with people you have never worked with before,” freshmen Mariska Breedlove said. “I think in a way they bring us together in the classroom. They make us work as a team and are actually really fun. You get to work with upperclassmen and people you have never met.” 

The staff also enjoys having Tannahill be a part of the culinary program. 

Ms. Tannahill has brought new and exciting ideas for the culinary program at BHS. Last week teachers were able to enjoy a meal that the Culinary 3 class fixed for us,” school counselor Autumn Weiss said.