Commons Fun & Games

Haeffner promoting student interaction with dancing, games
Students doing limbo in 2022

BHS thinks of all the things it wants students to do and it wants them to communicate and have fun.

Assistant Principal Kelli Haeffner is responsible for all the activities that happen during the second breakfast and lunch. 

“Last year we used some of our funds to purchase some funny games and really helped bring kids out of their shell and off their phones interacting with each other during lunch,” she said. 

However, the goal is to reach all students with these activities.

“We know we have kids that love to dance and we have a group of kids that hate it, we’re trying to balance it,” Haeffner said.  “Maybe some of them just want a quiet space to be so we’re looking to incorporate some more quiet activities or even areas of the school where they feel more comfortable.”

Some may wonder why all this attention on communication between peers, Haeffner’s inspiration comes from her senior year. 

“I had a cell phone in high school during my senior year and all I could do was call and text messages but it cost a fortune,” Haeffner said. “We were forced to interact with each other and forced to be a good team.”

Dances, ping pong and other fun games a student can choose to join during lunch, but that’s not all. 

BHS also thinks about those who just need a mind break and for that reason the school is looking for puzzles and colors for coloring sheets on the walls inside the building, in the library for example. 

The reason behind this organization is one specific: try to think about what students need.  

“They need social interactions, they need to feel community, they need to feel like if something were happening they have a group of people that are willing to support them and it’s not just the adults, could be students as well,” Haeffner said.