Around the World

BHS freshman experiences mission trip to Honduras

One trip decided her entire career. Petra Morris, a freshman at Baldwin High School, went on a mission trip to Honduras in May of 2023. 

“I went to Honduras for a mission trip with my church, the Mill Creek Community Church.” Morris said. 

“Our group split off into two separate groups and went to two separate churches to help with childcare,” said Morris, “as well as medical stations and dental stations and pharmaceutical needs and evangelism.” 

Morris left for Honduras on May 27 and returned on June 3. In total she was there for 7 days. 

She met many people while in Honduras. 

“There was a little boy named Tiko, he was 7 years old and I met him in the children’s station while I was there and he was like my favorite dude ever.” Morris said. “There was also this translator and his name was Gustavo and he was 77 and he was also a really cool guy.” 

The mission trip to Honduras changed her outlook on life.

“It was a really humbling experience, all the people there were really sweet.” Morris said “You could just walk anywhere and give someone a high five and they would be really grateful for it and they would give you a hug, it is the best feeling ever.” 

It transformed how she looks at things. A seven day trip gained her knowledge people spend lifetimes looking for.

“I learned that you don’t need a lot to make you happy.” said Morris “Like most people in Honduras have little to nothing compared to us and they are just so much happier than we are here in the United States because they learned that they don’t really need anything to fulfill their happiness.” 

It not only changed her life outlook but it changed her projected career path. 

“Last year I felt a call to missions and now I feel like that is what I want to do with my life.” Morris said “I want to pursue a career in missions and help with mission work.”