• "The Night of January 16th" is this year's spring play. Congrats to the students who made the cast! 🎭💼💰

• Bulldog Java Break is a Monday and Friday coffee 'cart' brought to us in the commons by Bridge.

• No school Monday, Feb 19, 2018

Real Issues: Social Media

Grace Cooper, Editor-in-Cheif

I think it’s safe to say that for most students at BHS, there is rarely a day where we don’t check social media, whether it be Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook or any of the other popular social media sites and apps. This is certainly understandable, since social media provides so many wonderful features. These days it is easy to stay in touch with a grandparent who lives across the country, or text our parents that we won’t be home for dinner so they won’t be worried about us. Social media brings people together, no matter the distance separating us, and that can be a beautiful thing.

However, students’ lives on social media aren’t always as great as they may seem. It is true, especially in regards to Twitter, that social media allows us to communicate- but that communication can often be negative. We are able to step away from the words we say when we’re typing on a keyboard instead of talking face-to-face with someone, which means we spend less time and consideration deciding if what we’re saying might hurt someone or lead to other unfortunate consequences. In the age of Twitter-wars between political figures and high schoolers alike, it can seem counterproductive to be sharing our thoughts and opinions all the time with everyone.

Personally, I think social media is a wonderful creation and there have been so many times I’ve been grateful for its ability to connect me with like-minded people. That being said, when we spend hours every day tweeting about our lives, sharing pictures on Instagram and cultivating our Snapchat to make it seem like we’re living an exciting life, sometimes we forget what’s really important. We’re constantly trying to impress other people, trying to use our accounts to show how many friends we have or how many beautiful vacations we’ve gone on. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to share your life with the people around you, but if you find yourself stressing about taking the perfect picture for your Snapchat or feeling like you’re less important than somebody simply because you have less Twitter followers than them, you might want to take a step back and make sure that your social media use is making your life better, not worse.

• Real Issues: Social Media

Humans of BHS

Humans of BHS: Shelby Jones, Sophomore

• Real Issues: Social Media

Humans of BHS

Humans of BHS: Hudson Allen, Freshman

• Real Issues: Social Media

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Ryan Todd, senior

• Real Issues: Social Media

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Ty Harris, freshman

• Real Issues: Social Media

Editorial

Paper or digital books in schools

• Real Issues: Social Media

Editorial

Why catcalling needs to stop

• Real Issues: Social Media

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Ella Miley, freshman

• Real Issues: Social Media

A&E

New BHS Art and Literary Magazine

• Real Issues: Social Media

BHS Alumni

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: Libby Brungardt

• Real Issues: Social Media

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Elizabeth Simpson, sophomore

Real Issues: Social Media