• "The Night of January 16th" is this year's spring play. Congrats to the students who made the cast! 🎭💼💰

• Bulldog Java Break is a Monday and Friday coffee 'cart' brought to us in the commons by Bridge.

• No school Monday, Feb 19, 2018

BHS welcomes new chess club

Students playing chess

Students playing chess

Erin Grosdidier

The start of a chess club at BHS has been created by two students who love the game, juniors Riley Russell and Andrew Braun.

“We made the Chess Club because one day during lunch, Andrew and I were talking about chess,” Russell said. “We then looked at each other and said we need a Chess Club because chess is so much fun.”

First, they had to find a sponsor, science teacher Jim Ashcraft, who allowed them to use his room Wednesdays after school from 3:20-4:20 p.m. Then, they discussed it with Student Council to gain approval. Finally, they went to principal Rob McKim who gave them the final approval to start the club.

“I learned how to play chess from a guy selling chess boards in the middle of a department store,” Braun said. “He showed me how the pieces moved and basic rules, I was about eight at the time. Once you learn the basic rules, chess is actually not that hard to play. It’s one of those things where it’s easy to learn, hard to master, where you need a lot of practice to really come ahead.”

The club teaches students how to play to those who do not know how to already. It is a place where students can come together to talk, chill and play chess. The club is hoping to eventually compete with other schools at chess, but they are getting more organized first.

“It’s always a good game to play,” senior Jeremiah Johnson said. “I’ve been playing chess for as long as I can remember.”

With the new club up and running, lots of students have come to play, including Brennan Fletcher, Cael Harris, TJ Hopper, Jacob Bailey, Parker Wilson, Sheldon Silk, Anthony Dunn, Sam White, Jeremy Williams, Olivia Wilcox, Cassie Robinson, Colton Long, Danielle Bennett, Michael Zimmerman and Payton Durand.

“I like to have a good time,” junior Henry Letner said. “It’s like a party on a board and the club is a place to have a great time.”

After school, chess is a fun game anyone can play and get together with friends and battle them out. Whether it is your first time playing, or you have been playing for a while, the club welcomes all to have a fun time.

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Humans of BHS

Humans of BHS: Shelby Jones, Sophomore

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Humans of BHS

Humans of BHS: Hudson Allen, Freshman

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Ryan Todd, senior

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Ty Harris, freshman

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Editorial

Paper or digital books in schools

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Editorial

Why catcalling needs to stop

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Ella Miley, freshman

• BHS welcomes new chess club

A&E

New BHS Art and Literary Magazine

• BHS welcomes new chess club

BHS Alumni

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: Libby Brungardt

• BHS welcomes new chess club

Humans of BHS

HUMANS OF BHS: Elizabeth Simpson, sophomore

BHS welcomes new chess club