Band Competition interests kids across the US

Band competition sparks a competitive mindset in a select few Baldwin High School students. Seven of Baldwin High School’s finest band members represented BHS at Kansas State University on Jan. 24-26. This annual competition has been held at KSU for the past 21 years.

Sophomore Megann Lawrenz one of the competitors at this years KSU band competition enjoyed this unique experience.

“Instead of working with 60 or so kids we got to work with about 120 kids,” Lawrenz said. “I enjoyed it a lot and met lots of new friends who I’m going to keep in touch with.”

BHS Band director Will Cooper has sent kids to KSU for fifteen plus years.

“We’ve had lots of kids go,” Cooper said, “Now that K-State limits the number of kids and selects who they want, I think that the level of the bands have gotten better.”

This competition is an unforgettable, yet fun, clinic that still prepares kids for college level band and helps them to be recognized by colleges.

“We had two kids Cassidy Markley and Katelyn Johnson selected for scholarships at K-State so if they choose to go to K-State and play in the band the’ll have a $500 scholarship,” Cooper said. “It gives kids an opportunity kinda to see what its like, at a college.”

Lawrenz, who was in the top band, speaks highly of this clinic.

“I would recommend doing this to anyone who is serious about music and looking for a fun relaxing weekend.” she said.