Science students to make return trip for sea turtle rescue

Students have spent months preparing for a trip that could potentially get them on track for the future, and open their eyes up to something new.

The College Chemistry class has been preparing for a trip to Florida on June 4th to visit the sea turtles. This will be the second year for this trip. Science teacher Scott Crenshaw and his wife                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Renee will be the chaperones of 10 students. As far as activities go, Crenshaw was able to get in contact with one of the few organizations that are allowed to tag and track sea turtles called the Coastal Wildlife Club.

Some students are exploring their career options for the future.

“I’m really interested in conservation and management of animals, so hopefully this trip will help me to decide if that’s really what I want to do,” senior Hannah Hutton said.

For some students this is an opportunity to experience new things.

Senior Brittnay George said, “I see this as a great experience to be exposed to a different type of career,” senior Brittnay George said.

Even though the trip is about learning, it can still be fun.

“I am most excited as always about watching turtles come out of the water,” Crenshaw said. “Massive three-foot long beasts coming out of the water, and going up and laying an egg, and it takes 45 minutes and we just watch and we are amazed everytime we see it.”

There are many different adventures to explore in Florida.

“I am most excited to see the elephants and get up every morning early to monitor the turtle nests,” Hutton said.

The group has spent many weeks organizing and preparing for fun activities.

“I got a hold of the Sarasota County Natural Research department to organize our night walks, to look for turtles laying eggs,” Crenshaw said.

The students had a lot of fundraising to do, but it was all worth it.

“We had to organize a lot for fundraising and find a home to stay at that will fit all of us, but speaking of fundraising our last fundraiser was the night of the Winter Royalty basketball game and we are having a barbeque dinner that costs $5 starting at 5:30,” Hutton said.

Planning the trip was not always easy for the group.

“Trying to get everyone’s schedule to work out so we could fundraise was very hard,” George said.

Students are making new friendships along the way.

“I feel as if we have came together and become a lot closer than before. It’s been very great to get to know everyone going on the trip, I’ve made friendships I never thought I would,” George said.