Students stand up to cancer

Students at Baldwin High have been affected by cancer in various ways. Cancer touches everyone in some way, big or small.

On Oct. 11,  BHS students all got to show who they hold close to their heart and who they “stand up to cancer” for. The Stand Up To Cancer Club, started this year by junior Corey Valentine, hosted the home football game against Louisburg.

“I knew a lot of people would show up and support (the club),” sophomore Mackenzie Ellis said.

Over 300 signs were printed for the game, and only a couple were left over. A donation jar was passed around, and that alone raised just under $200.

“The game last week turned out wonderfully,” Valentine said. “It truly was a special and impacting moment, and an amazing tribute to all of those who have fought cancer.”

Valentine wanted to start the club to aid in finding a cure for cancer. Their goal this year is to raise $2500 for cancer awareness. Valentine started this club with the aid of counselor Debbie Baldwin.

“Each time I work with Corey and her mom, I get more excited,” Baldwin said. “I don’t know exactly what they are doing and they blow my socks off with their commitment.”

Valentine and Ellis have both been affected by cancer. Valentine’s dad, Jeff Valentine, was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, which originated in the rectum and spread to his liver, on Dec. 1st in 2009. He passed away just under a year later in Nov. 2010.

Jo Ellis was diagnosed with breast cancer in August of 2012. After chemotherapy and radiation, Jo Ellis is now cancer free.

They hope to have an ultimate frisbee tournament and many other events in the spring to help raise money for the club.

“Even if it is just a very tiny part,” Valentine said. “ I hope that through this club we will somehow aid in finding a cure for cancer.”