Seniors reluctant to face end of BHS sport careers

Conflicting emotions are running high as the reality of the end of this fall sports season is becoming apparent. Many seniors at Baldwin High School are catching their last pass, spiking their last ball and running their last meet in BHS colors as fall sports begin to wind down. Though the school year is only a quarter over, this is the last fall season they will spend as a Baldwin Bulldog.

For some, it is something they don’t even want to address.

“It’s been emotional,” senior Madeline McCrary said. “I try to play each game like it’s my last, but I don’t want to think about it, so I try to avoid the subject.”

McCrary is finishing up her last year as a Bulldog on the volleyball team.

The realization that this is the last time they will compete with their present team is also setting in.

“It’s finally hitting me,” senior Leyena Watson said. “I’m going to miss the people, because cross country has great people.”

Sometimes, it does not even seem real that it is over.

“Yesterday was my last meet,” Watson said. “It didn’t really hit me then, but it’s starting to hit me now.”

Some aren’t thinking about the end of the season as much as the outcome.

“(I’m) just looking forward to the goal of a state championship,” senior Russell Cloon said. “Because us seniors realize that this is one of the only times we have a shot to win the championship. So this is it.”

Continuing to play the sport that has been a part of their lives the past four years is important to some but not necessarily as important as their education.

“I definitely want to continue playing,” McCrary said. “Whether it’s intramurals or actually playing at a college. It depends on the college I go to. I want to choose my college based on academics, if it works out to play volleyball, that’d be great.”

However, moving on is also on the agenda.

“(I’ll continue running) on my own,” Watson said. “I’ve been thinking about running in college, but I don’t think I will. I’ve gotten a few offers, but I think four years is enough.”

Others are trying to decide between schools, but leaving Baldwin sounds like a big step.

“I’m looking at three colleges for college soccer,” Cloon said. “I’m ready for college, but I’m not ready to be away from Baldwin.”

Coaches have been an influential part of their high school experience and will be missed.

“I’m not sure I’ll miss the running,” Watson said. “But I will definitely miss Coach (Mike Spielman).”