Seniors focusing on life after BHS

Applications take hours and college visits take up entire school days. Seniors are vying for scholarships and scrambling to make deadlines. For the most part, however, their decisions are relatively easy.

Some have multiple colleges they are planning on attending.

“(I’m spending) two years at Johnson County Community College and then two years at Pittsburg State University for graphic arts,” senior Ann Richardson said.

Her choice was determined on flexibility and programs available.

“JCCC was a good choice in case I wanted to change my mind,” Richardson said. “Pittsburg has a good graphic arts program.”

Others have been working towards their dreams for at least a year.

“I decided I wanted to go into (photography) about one and a half years ago,” senior Clay Swanson said. “I was looking at pictures online and wanted a camera that took pictures that nice. So I bought one.”

Swanson is in Digital Photography Two this year and takes opportunities to job shadow professional photographers.

Scholarships also have bearing on the choices seniors make.

“I’ve applied to ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) and for a scholarship,” senior Brenna Johnson said. “If I get that scholarship, I’m going to the University of Wisconsin.”

Planning to serve their country with their career is important to some.

“I’ve known exactly what I wanted to do for awhile now,” Johnson said. “I knew I wanted to serve.”

Senior counselor Melody Hoffsommer has tips for Baldwin High School students planning their futures.

“Start early,” Hoffsommer said. “Junior year, even sophomore year, start looking. By the end of the summer after your junior year, have an idea of 3-5 schools at the most that you would like to spend the next four years of your life at and then apply to those colleges.

Application deadlines are crucial, even if you haven not made a decision.

“See what their deadlines are and meet those deadlines,” Hoffsommer said. “By applying it opens up communication between you and the schools. You don’t have to make a decision until mid-April but at least have a direction to head into.”

The process to begin looking can seem overwhelming at times, but there are websites that can help.

“Fastweb.com is a great place to start looking,” Hoffsommer said. “For apprenticeships, internships, trade school, etc.”

Taking the ACT is important and you should plan on taking it more then once.

“Take the ACT at least once your junior year and at least once your senior year during the first semester,” Hoffsommer said.

There are other options besides college and it’s best to get started early for those as well.

“If you want to go into the military, you should probabl start talking to a recruiter your junior year,” Hoffsommer said. “Take the ASVAB test at least once your junior year.”

ASVAB stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test. It is the entrance test to be accepted into the military.

Grades have less importance than you would think.

“Only the private schools tend to focus more on your GPA or grades,” Hoffsommer said. “You probably need to have a 2.0 or 2.5. Of course, if you get a 3.0 or better, you might qualify for some scholarships to help with your college bill.”

Skills tests, however, do have high importance.

“Most colleges and private schools look at how well you do on a skills test,” Hoffsommer said. “If you do well on a compass test they will accept you because you’re a Kansas student and Kansas students can automatically go to Kansas community colleges.”