Principals enjoy first two years, ready for more

As principal Rob McKim and assistant principal Frank Perbeck enter their third year at Baldwin High School, students and staff of BHS love having them.

“I love having them (the principals),” senior Cassidy Markley said. “I know the principals have to do a lot behind the scenes, but it’s nice to have principals and vice principals who are out in the hallways and they’re talking to you, and they talk to about what you do outside of school. They come to all our games and our concerts and our performances and they support us. It’s like you have a friendly face you can talk to if something is wrong, you don’t have to be intimidated by them.”

Many students agree with Markley that they enjoy how McKim and Perbeck get involved with students and staff, how they attend many of the sporting events and most, if not all, school activities.

But it is not only the students who enjoy working with them; the experienced and new teachers enjoy working with them as well.

“These principals are pretty awesome,” Math teacher Danielle Balsman said. “They are humorous, they care about our staff, they care about our students. They’re reasonable, and they’re really easy to work with, they’re really good at communicating.”

We all know that students have plans for high school and after. but what are the plans the principals have made? As of right now, the iPads are their main focus. Both agree that resolving the issues BHS is having is the main objective.

“I like what we have done with them (iPads) so far,” McKim said. “The connectivity issues have been a problem, but I do think the students and staff have been farely patient. It’s going to be a learning process, as for as when we get those connectivity issues solved. How do we use them? Making sure students are using them appropriately, teachers and getting used to how to use them in class. But all in all, I do think its a move in the right direction.”

As for after this year and the years to come, everyone has hopes and for the school, students and principals alike.

“They (the principals) can definitely encourage more participation, especially the underclassmen and getting the silent majority more involved,” senior and Student Council President Madeline McCrary said. “I think it’s really important, and I know in Student Council that’s something I have really strived to increase, and it’s not just something one person can do. But I hope to see that happen.”

Perbeck has his own plans for the coming years.

“I’d like to see Baldwin to continue to be successful, and the total educational program here are our school. I’d be happy to maintain, but love to continue to improve on that,” he said.