Innovative technology grants awarded to USD 348 staff

USD 348 staff members recently wrote technology grants for equipment they needed in their classroom. The grants were awarded earlier this week.

Among the twelve USD 348 staff members who received a grant was BHS chemistry teacher Nikki Burnett.

“I was awarded four Labquest-2 interfaces that will allow science students to collect, share, and export live data using the iPads,” Burnett said. “Labs we currently use such as freezing point depression and Boyle’s Law can now be done on the iPad and more importantly used to analyze and share with other classmates.”

Another BHS staff member whose grant is geared towards the iPads students will be using next year is BHS math teacher Lori Lampe.

“I received the grant to purchase an Apple TV,” Lampe said. “An Apple TV is a small device that, when connected to a projector or TV, will mirror the display from any device connected to it wirelessly using Apple’s AirPlay.  I plan to use it with my iPad next year to display content from my iPad with the whole class.”

Other grants were awarded to update technology that was already being used in the classroom.

“I have received money to purchase two cameras and accessories for students to check out for filming outside of school for the Studio 110 Productions class,” BJHS technology teacher Rachelle Patterson said. “We are so excited. Our other cameras were six and seven years old.”

Teachers are hoping the equipment will improve the experience their students are receiving in the classroom.

“With the Tech Grant, I will be receiving a Mimio System,” Primary Center teacher aide Matthew Nason said. “This system will allow my students to have a greater hands on experience with technology, in turn enhancing the day to day learning within our new math curriculum.”

Staff members will receive their equipment by the next school year so they will be able to use it in the classroom.