BHS transitioning to iPads

At a recent meeting the school board members voted in favor of each high school student receiving an iPad next year, and now BHS staff is in the process of preparing for the change.

BHS English teacher Rachael Smith has been using iPads in her 21st Century Literature class for three years.

“I think students need something in their hands outside of the classroom to do homework, to do research, to finish finish papers and assignments, and to keep track of their notes and I think it will be a good addition,” Smith said.

BHS Science teacher Nikki Burnett’s College Chemistry class received iPads a couple weeks ago and are starting to use them in class.

“Using data collection on the iPads will give students their own data for analysis,” Burnett said. “Using the iPad for paperless labs and presentations is an interesting idea we are playing with.”

Senior Austin Kraus is in both 21st Century Literature and College Chemistry and has had quite a bit of experience with iPads.

“iPads definitely have their advantages,” Kraus said. “A teacher can share work with all his/her students via the internet or apps on the iPad, such as My Big Campus or Google Drive. It can allow students to collaborate swiftly and efficiently on projects or assignments. While they do have advantages, they also have their disadvantages. If there is not an internet connection anywhere, it can be impossible to complete something that was solely based on the iPad. There are some things, like textbooks, that just can’t be used on them. All in all, I think the school is going to have an innovative learning experience when they integrate iPad’s into their curriculum next year.”