Hard work goes to Regional Journalism

BHS students have been putting forth hard work toward the annual Regional competition. The Kansas Scholartic Press Association hosts annal KSPA students prepare various projects to submit and be judged.

Some students placed very well in the competitions. Junior Nick Joslyn placed first place in Feature writing.

“It was a great thing to happen,” Joslyn said. “It was my first time, so I didn’t know what to expect.”

Many students were surprised by their placing.

“I definitely feel like the time I spend on my webpage paid off in the end,” senior Morgan Smith said. “I didn’t expect to place due to all the other competitors.

Journalism Teacher Kit Harris was pleased with the outcome of the students hard work.

“It was good we did well considering with all of the changes due to snow,” Journalism teacher Kit Harris said. “We had a lot of places but all the students worked hard. It was a good learning experience.”

The students at BHS competed in the following categories; Editorial Cartoon, Feature Writing, Headline Writing, News Page Design, Newspaper Sports Writing, News Writing, Photo Illustration, Sports Photography and Yearbook Layout.

The following students placed in these categories: Natalie Schulz third in Editorial Cartoon; Katie Langrehr (Honorable Mention) in Editorial Cartoon and first in Yearbook Layout; Nick Joslyn first in Feature Writing; Kate Daffern (Honorable Mention) in Feature Writing and second in Yearbook Design; Kelsie Champagne (Honorable Mention) in Headline Writing; Morgan Smith (Honorable Mention) in News Page Design; Russell Cloon (Honorable Mention) in Newspaper Sports Writing; Marlena Arjo second in News Writing; Kelsey Dighans (Honorable Mention) and (Honorable Mention) in Sports Photography.