Young forensics squad to compete at third event

Sat., April 6, BHS forensics will travel to Ottawa to compete in their third event.

“It is a pretty big tournament,” senior Sammie Weiss said. “I hope it goes well, and we get more people qualified.”

Weiss is a returning forensics competitor and has gone to state in each of her four years.  This year, she is attempting to quadruple qualify.  Weiss has already triple qualified in Prose, Poetry, and Humorous Solo, and she has one event left.  At state, Weiss can only participate in two events, and at this point she has not narrowed her options.

“I hope to qualify in my last event, do well in state, and break into semis” Weiss said.

Weiss is the most experienced member on the squad, and she has enjoyed helping the first-years.

“It has been a great experience,” Weiss said. “We have a lot of new members. I have had fun helping them settle in and learn.”

Forensics sponsor Katherine Cook wants everyone to keep improving.

“We want everyone to reach their stride and have confidence,” Cook said. “We want them to do the best job they can. If it includes finals, then that is thrilling.”

However, before the team will compete on Sat., they host their second home event.  On Friday night, there will be a forensics competition at BHS.  At home events, Baldwin cannot participate, so the team will have to wait until Sat. to compete for the third time this season.