Musicians excited for State Solo and Ensemble competition

Singing being the passion of some people, they are given the chance to excel in it in their own way. Baldwin High School is participating in the State Solo and Ensemble Festival competition on April 14. Many students anticipate for this day and hope to do well.

“I am really excited , that is one of my favorite parts of the spring,” senior Abbi Clem said. “We have a lot of great solos and ensembles so hopefully we will get a few that will go to State this year.”

The competition is going to be hosted at Baker University. Students who receive a I rating will move on to the State Solo and Ensemble Festival on April 27  in Andover.

“I am only doing the state solo and I am very excited about it.” junior Raeanna Duncan said, “I really hope that I will get a I rating for my score.”

The Baldwin State Band is also going to participate in this competition hoping that they will also excel in playing their instruments.

“This is my first year doing a high school band ensemble. I am in full section flute ensemble,” freshmen Genesis Barwick said. “We are playing ‘Colonel Bogey March’ and I am very excited to be part of this.”

Both events are sponsored by KSHSAA. Students will sing for a judge who is an expert on vocal technique and performance. The students will receive a rating sheet with input on their performance.

“I think the Solo and Ensemble Festival is a great way for students to learn and grow as musicians.  I am very, very proud of the work our students do for this event.” BHS choir teacher Mrs Beth Nelson said. “It is a great way to grow and improve as a singer”