Musicians excel at State Band

Baldwin High School musicians participated in the State Band competition which was held at Wichita from February 21-23. Four students earned the right to participate Brian Cooper, Austin Kraus, Cassidy Markley and Kymbr Simmons.

State Band is for grades 10-12. It is a great honor to qualify for state band.

“I am very excited to be a part of state band this year,”  Simmons, a sophomore, said. “I am honored to have had this opportunity.”

The band students have been working hard with their instruments to be able to have this great opportunity.

I am very excited: I have been working so long and hard. The other three people I’m going with are some great friends of mine,” junior Cassidy Markley said. “I also get to see so many people from other band events that I have met and only get to see a few times in a year.”

Before these students could take part in state band they had to qualify at district in November. Thats when they could proceed to audition for state in January.

“Well, I started working on my audition piece in June of 2012,” Markley said. “I am just happy that my hard work with my oboe paid off.”

Seniors Cooper and Kraus have qualified all three years of their eligibility. This is the first time BHS band has had three-year medallions compete in Wichita.

“I am excited to have returned back to state band for my final year of eligibility with my clarinet,” Cooper said. ” Its great to see some of my old friends that I made during my 3 years of participating in state band, while also making new ones this year.”

“State band was again a great experience,” Kraus said.” This was my third year in the band, and every year it has been great to participate in a band with the best kids in the state.”