Three BHS students published in magazine

Two BHS students and one former BHS student had the honor of having some of their work published in the 2012 Fall Edition of The Writer’s Slate.

“Writer’s Slate is a publication for student work around the world,” BHS English teacher Rachael Smith said. “The Writer’s Slate also has a writing competition in the Spring. They give students a writing prompt or theme and allow entries in Narrative, Poetry, and Expository at the Elementary, Middle School and High School levels. Three winners are chosen in each category.”

The students were junior Brad Shields, senior Katie Kehl and Eli Buckley who graduated last May. The students were all in one of Smith’s classes last year.

There were a total of 27 published entries from all over the world in the magazine and three of them belonged to BHS students.

“The year our kids were published, they had entries globally from China and India,” Smith said. “I don’t know how many entries they had, but out of the 27 published entries, Baldwin represented three of those.”

Smith was proud of her students for being published writers.

“Any time writing is published, at any age, it is quite an accomplishment,” Smith said. “It something no one can ever take away from you. It is a wonderful reward for kids who work hard and are creative. It is equally as rewarding to see kids who struggle in English find their voice and be recognized for their writing.”

The students’ works can be read on the Writer’s Slate website by using the link below.

http://www.writingconference.com/Fall%202012%20Writers’%20Slate.pdf