Eighth grade letters provide “blast from past” for BHS seniors

During seminar on Sept. 24 seniors received a gift that brought them a blast from the past.

Each year, eighth grade Language Arts teacher Deb Kalkman has her classes write a letter to themselves about what their lives are like at the time and she keeps them until their senior year of high school and then returns them to the students for them to read.

“It was really cool to see how I’ve changed over the years,” senior Kate Daffern said. “It was hilarious to read.”

The letters gave seniors a chance to see just how much they have grown over the past four years.

“I was so immature,” senior Callie Enick said. “I don’t think I had any brain power in eighth grade.”

While some seniors were shocked at their immaturity, others were shocked at their maturity.

“I was really surprised at the insightful words I wrote to myself because as I remember I was a very weird child,” senior Heidi Halford said. “I didn’t write about stuff like best friends and crushes like everyone else, my letter was very inspirational.”

Some seniors were not surprised about their personality changes but the lack of change in more physical characteristics.

“It surprised me how much my bad hand writing has stayed the same,” senior Trent Maxwell said.

The letters brought the seniors a good laugh and a feeling of satisfaction when they learned they’d accomplished the goals they’d set for themselves four years ago.

“I wrote the I wanted a starting varsity spot on the soccer team and I accomplished that once we got a girls team,” senior Andrea Baltzell said. “I also told myself not to get pregnant and I was also successful in that aspect so that was good as well.”