High enrollment among changes at BHS

The 2012-2013 school year institutes a few changes at Baldwin High School. One major difference is enrollment.

“We have quite a few more students this year,” principal Rob McKim said. “Last year on Sep. 20 we had 424 students. It’s a little way off, but we are looking at over 450.”

Some students are pleased with the higher enrollment.

“It’s interesting to have more people in the school and be well over 400 students,” junior Brenna Johnson said.

Junior Duncan Murray is another student pleased with the enrollment.

“It’s nice because I can talk to more people,” Murray said.

However, there are some drawbacks to a larger enrollment.

“The enrollment burdens some classes,” McKim said. “Now students will have a class or two with 25-30 students instead of 20.”

One class with high enrollment is Psychology. A new class this year, Psychology has 29 students.

“There was a lot of student interest in this class,” BHS counselor Melody Hoffsommer said. “We talked to Baker and they decided to send Dr. Robyn Long to teach the class.”

The class meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday during first hour.

Junior Ethan Hartzell seems to enjoy the class.

“I took it to get it out of the way for college and it sounded like fun,” Hartzell said. “It has been pretty fun so far.”

Another change at BHS comes during seminar. Seminar this year is closed on Mondays, meaning students cannot leave to other classes.

McKim believes this will be a helpful improvement.

“Closed Mondays are the biggest change in seminar this year,” McKim said. “Students and staff last year did not get a chance to connect. Students were gone Monday through Friday, and were leaving just to leave. Also, sophomores will have character education on some Mondays and counselors will have the chance to meet with students.”

Some students do not share McKim’s viewpoint.

“Seminar rules are useless,” junior Ian Kirk said. “If you have to make up a lot of things, or go somewhere, you cannot.”

Murray agrees with Kirk.

“I dislike it because I cannot go anywhere,” Murray said.

The last major change at BHS is the reincorporation of planners.

“We gave everyone planners because of student request,” McKim said. “The student advisory team asked for planners and it is pleasantly surprising how many use the planners daily.”

Johnson is pleased that the planners are in use again at Baldwin.

“The planners are helpful and I am glad they are available for student use,” Johnson said. “I organize my whole life in my planner, I write assignments down, when they are due, and major events.”

Junior Mickayla Starkey shared a similar viewpoint.

“I organize everything, even when I hang out with friends,” Starkey said. “Without my planner I would be a wreck.”

Kirk also likes the planners.

“I love the planners, they are very handy,” Kirk said. “They are lifesavers.”